Porous Alpha proved its performances in various climate condition like Mauritania, Senegal, Morocco, etc.
Mixing Porous Alpha for sandy soil or argillaceous soil realize improved yield with less water consumption
Water saving is a critical issue for agriculture in an arid zone mainly in the Middle East and Africa where
- Morocco, no.4 biggest exporter of tomato, has their production base in an arid zone close to Sahara desert
- Without effective water utilization, agriculture cannot be sustainable
Water scarcity can be the direct cause of conflicts.
Drip irrigation is a great solution for water saving. However further water saving is now required.
- Most of export tomato farmers in Morocco use drip irrigation
- Nevertheless, the groundwater level is getting deeper every year. Currently, many farmers pump up the water from 100 – 150 m below surface.
- Water-related cost for agriculture is now 10 – 15% of total production cost and increasing.
Utilization of Porous Alpha as soil conditioner can realize water saving with increased yield, identified as an environmental technology transferrable to developing countries by the United Nations.
Introduction by United Nation (UNIDO)
“Porous α” as a water-saving irrigation system is registered in the environmental technology database of UNIDO.
Pores in Porous Alpha provide moisture and air for soil, realizing further water saving for drip irrigation
Installation is quite simple: mixing Porous Alpha with soil by tractor
Mixing 10% Porous Alpha of the soil roots zone by tractor and hoe.
It’s the same application as compost and/or fertilizer. No need to additional machines and/or skills.
- Case of Tomato and Green Beans：5L / m
See more details about installation
Porous Alpha has the advantage mainly in duration
Realized saving water and increasing yield for Tomato culture in Morocco
Test farm ORMVASM* experimentation farm
Target crop: Tomato
Duration: September 2015 to April 2016
Irrigation method: Tube irrigation
*ORMVASM is “Office Régional de Mise en Valeur Agricole du Souss Massa”
Saving 48% irrigation water
Increasing yield of 28%
Specification and applied conditions as a soil conditioner
The required quantity of Porous Alpha: 10% of the soil of the root zone is the base. But it can change depending on the soil
The durability of Porous Alpha: More than 10 years
Water retention capacity: 15% of the volume of Porous Alpha